Friday 15 June 2012

How ya doin'?

Hello everyone!  Here's a Friday kitten for you - and incase you don't like kittens, here's a Friday puppy...



Anyway... I'm just checking in because, as you may know, I'm not blogging regularly due to my efforts to DE-STRESS MY LIFE!  I am, I must say, feeling a lot less stressed - not that it was only the blogging that was causing me stress, but it was yet another thing to fit in.  I've still been visiting blogs when I can and trying to leave a comment (if Blogger will let me on that particular day at that particular time, fickle friend that it is). 

I have managed to stick to my PLAN, more or less, and seem to have convinced myself that as much as I love writing, it's not worth stressing over to the point that it makes me ill / tired / impossible to live with / inattentive to other members of the family. 

I'd like to share a few of my recent discoveries with you, if you haven't got bored yet and navigated away from the page...
  • I don't need to write a short story in one or two sittings.  I used to feel that my momentum was ruined if I wrote something over a week or two, but I've discovered that a) I don't forget what I was going to write and b) after editing you'd never know it had been written in stages.  I know that you already knew that, but I'm a slow learner...
  • It is possible to put a "So what?" head on in the face of rejection.  I was bad at this and used to check my inbox several times a day for news on stories I'd submitted, and then feel pretty humililated if the dreaded 'Sorry, but...' response arrived.  Lately, I've limited myself to checking only once a day when I answer my emails and have also managed to talk myself out of high hopes for each story.  If an editor likes it - hooray!  If not, never mind - it just isn't the right story for them or - and this is obviously sometimes the case - it doesn't 'work'.  So what?! Move on!
  • Even if it's a 'writing' night, it's ok to only write 100 words and then go and watch TV with my husband or my daughter.
So, this is the new, un-obsessive me.  How are you doing?  Are you feeling the stress of day to day life interfering with your writing?  Do you have any useful tips for the rest of us?  

Oh, and which is it for you - puppies or kittens?

6 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

The new unobsessive you sounds like she's figured it out! Well done.

I have no tips to share. I'm the worst person in the world for organising myself/working/not procrastinating. I'm still waiting for the light bulb moment that you obviously had!

M said...

I think you have a good plan. I teach Writer's Workshop to my kindergartners...when the times ends I always have kids who say, "But I'm not finished!" And I remind them (every day) that writers aren't always finished with a book in one day...and it might take them all year. A hard concept for kids- even adults!

Scribbling Sharon said...

I can hear breath being exhaled and relief positively oozing from you! Or at least the benefits of a bit of balance and not beating yourself up. I have found, my accident, I love writing in 100 word snatches - and it also seems to help keep creativity flowing in my head so ideas come up all the time.
Keep balancing!
Oh and kitten does it for me every time :) X

Unknown said...

Kitty!! My day just got brighter ^_^ Glad to see you're destressing yourself. I might have to hit you up for advice in a week or two...

Jen said...

Hi Linda,

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and following :) I appreciate it!

Glad to meet you. Good luck in de-stressing your life. I totally understand. Sometimes you just have to take a break!

And other times, like with me and my crazy school schedule/moving, it's almost impossible to blog!

All the best and I'll take a puppy AND a kitten :D New follower!
Jen

cleemckenzie said...

I'll take one of each please. And be sure to take that time to be with your husband and daughter. Those 100 words will come later . . . maybe even better!

I hopped over from Alex's Insecure Writer Linky to say hello. So glad I did. I got me a kitten AND a puppy. :-)