Tuesday 10 April 2012

9. Ithaka

Oooh, this looks lovely!  Ithaka - or Ithaca - is a Greek island in the Ionian sea.  To me, the name conjours up Odysseus and mysterious mythological magic, azure waters, dolphins, heat haze and the wonderful, warm people of Greece.



File:South ithaca.jpg
Vathy
Ithaka lies off the coast of Kefalonia (which I have visited), covers 45 square miles and has just over 3,000 inhabitants.  The capital Vathy - or Ithaki - has one of the world's largest natural harbours.
Doesn't it look wonderful?

    
If you want to know more about the history of the island, there's a link here: Ithaka .  One day, I hope I'll be leaving a blog post about my first-hand experience of Ithaka - it's definitely on my holiday list!

Anyone been there?


6 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

Another gat destination, good choice!

Annalisa Crawford said...

So beautiful... I'd love to go there too. The sea is a fantastic colour!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I really do want to go to Ithaca.

Nice to meet you, and I hope you're enjoying the Challenge!

KarenG
A to Z Challenge Host

Sarah Tokeley said...

Oh yes please, let's go :-)

Catherine Stine said...

Hi
What gorgeous photos! I will actually be teaching creative writing this June on the island of Seriphos! Can't wait. I've never been to Greece. I'm over from A to Z (at #622 today) so stop over if you like!

Anonymous said...

Pretty pictures!

Sonia Lal, A to Z challenge